Re: Mount NTFS disk as a read and write volume and not read only.

Put the disk back in the machine. Boot using the XP install disk. Choose to repair using the Recovery Console...?

Surely far less hassle...

Surely less hassle if the disk wasn't completely full, 26k left. When I did what you're suggesting, the windows installer didn't recognize the parition format and wanted to reformat it. With ntfsfix I was able to repair the disk, cause windows crashed when the disk got full, and with ntfs-3g I mounted it and deleted all the junk it had. I put it back in the PC and windows booted with no problem.
Thanks
EJ