Re: Enabling telnet

On Sun, 2006-11-19 at 13:16 +0000, Paul Smith wrote:

> > > Thanks, Craig. The result is:
> > >
> > > $ telnet 127.0.0.1 9734
> > > Trying 127.0.0.1...
> > > telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
> > > telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
> > > $
> > > $ netstat -an|grep 9734
> > > $
> > >
> > > i.e., ' netstat -an|grep 9734' returns nothing.
> > ----
> > why don't you tell us what you are trying to accomplish on port 9734
>
> Thanks, Craig. What I am trying to accomplish is the following:
>
> http://marc.10east.com/?l=r-help&m=116389849302592&w=2
----
you can't connect to port 9734 because nothing is listening on 9734

nothing is listening because something is wrong with configuration and
daemon listener won't start

configuration issues might be with program, which I haven't a clue
about, but also SELinux if on is likely to be a big roadblock. If
SELinux is turned on, check dmesg, /var/log/messages
and /var/log/audit/audit.log for clues.

If not, you are going to have to work through configuration issues of
that program - with people that understand that program 'Yacas'

In any event, you don't want/need telnet-server package installed and
definitely don't want it running on port 9734 because that would
interfere with the Yacas intentions. You definitely won't be able to
telnet 127.0.0.1 9734 until the daemon is up and running and listening
on port 9734

Craig