Re: Fedora on an AMD Athlon 64 (3200+) machine

Alessandro Brezzi wrote:

>> So I'll ask again if anyone is happily running the x86_64 version of FC-6
>> on an Athlon 64 machine?
>
> Yes, I'm happily running FC6 x86_64 on my box Athlon 64 3200+.
> No problems with the installer (GUI). I've done a fresh install (my
> preferred method for upgrading). The MoBo is an ASUS, graphic card ATI
> Radeon, 2GB of DDR. Both NIC, the GigaBit integrated and a RealTek
> 10/100 are working.

OK, thanks for the responses.
Evidently the x86_64 version of FC-6 works fine, in principle.

I also have an Asus motherboard and ATI Radeon 9600 video card,
though I only have 512MB RAM.

What I find puzzling is that my machine works perfectly
under the i386 version of FC-6 and under Windows XP.
Under the x86_64 version it can be guaranteed to crash within 1 hour
(usually within 1 minute), even if run in text mode,
and even with a compiled vanilla kernel.

Also, after the crash it is not sufficient to re-boot
by pressing the power switch for 10 seconds -
one has to switch the machine off and on at the back.
I take it this shows some kind of memory corruption.

It's a Targa machine, and I looked at the www.targa.com
to see if they had upgraded the CPU or BIOS,
but they are still shipping the same versions,
so I assume there has been no general failure.

Could it be heat?
It seems improbable to me that one OS can create much more heat
than another.

So I am genuinely baffled, and would like to hear
of any theory on this.

At the same time, this has really become a theoretical question,
as I am perfectly happy to run the i386 version,
which seems to me to run at least as fast as the x86_64 version
ever did.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366