Re: Fedora Coverstory in Linux Format

Hi,

Me again, still on the painkillers as the anesthetic has worn off...

What is the deal with the Ubuntu resizing thing then?  It is actually
going to shrink and grow existing non-native filesystems like NTFS to
make room?

Ubuntu will resize NTFS partitions to make room - this is correct, and
in my view something that is extremely handy if you are trying to
persuade a friend/colleague/total stranger to give Linux a go.

There is actually a project for Fedora live CDs

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Kadischi

I'm aware of Kadischi, and am broadly familiar with their objectives,
but the fact is that Ubuntu comes delivered on one CD, which just so
happens to be a live CD that allows you to test the distro out before
you install it, again with that one CD.

It was the stuff about apt-get being "vastly superior" to yum that
guided me to think the author was perhaps more familiar and happy with
Ubuntu.

Hmmm - OK, I'll pass that one by, as I do happen to believe apt-get is
vastly superior to yum, although I will concede that yum is improving
over time.

Do you have an opinion on why Ubuntu has a higher profile at the moment
than Fedora, if you even agree that is the case?

I do agree that this is the case. From my viewpoint I see a phenomenal
marketing campaign being waged by the Ubuntu community, not to mention
the great geek idol they have in Mark Shuttleworth. With this alone,
it is no surprise that they have so many converts. You also have to
consider that they have no back story to Ubuntu, other than building
on Debian so they are starting with a clean slate. Fedora, however,
will always be tied to Red Hat (whether people like it or not this is
the case) and can suffer from any negative community feelings.

Something else that I've been thinking about for some time, but have
kept to myself, is the fact that Fedora seems to be creating so many
different teams - at the moment there are 15 distinct projects all
falling under the Fedora banner. That seems like a lot to me, and
without knowing how active each project is, I'd argue that perhaps
Fedora is spreading itself a little thin. Of course, each group might
be a hive of activity, in which case I apologise now.

Also what Chris Jones says in his post should be taken on board.
Ubuntu wants to just work (within the framework of a free as in beer
distro), Fedora wants to be totally free (as in beer and as in
speech). However I think that this approach, while admirable and one
that I agree with, may not be what the majority of potential users
would either understand or benefit from.

I do believe in Fedora, and I do think it has come a long way in three years.

Thanks,

Andy