Re: Fedora Coverstory in Linux Format

Hi,

Andy here - _the_ Andy who wrote the review for Linux Format.

What I don't want to do is kick off a flame war about the relative
merits of Fedora or Ubuntu. What I will do at the start is point to my
closing statement about Fedora which is:

"Once again a solid distro, with added Xen goodness. Give Fedora a
chance to impress and you won't regret it"

I didn't realise this review had kicked up such a storm until I had
Andy Green drop me an email to my personal account (well located, by
the way). Kudos to those who have made their way through the issue so
quickly, and thanks for involving me in the discussion/fall out.

For what it's worth, what I meant to convey with the partitioning is
the lack of re-sizing for the average Windows Joe who needs to make
room on their hard drive for Fedora. Of course I know Fedora can
handle partitioning, as I custom partition my installation as it is.
The annoying thing is that I directly compared Ubuntu's partition
re-sizing ability to anaconda's, but this obviously got cut from the
final review.

As for Ubuntu getting difficult when straying from the beaten path...
Ubuntu out of the box is perfect for the average desktop user, someone
who needs a web browser, an email client and a word processor. Hey, it
even lets you listen to CDs. Yes, when you start digging and adding
more tools, especially from the universe/multiverse repositories, then
it becomes a bit more difficult to use.

With regards to the Suck it and See statement - this was added after I
submitted my review, and not by me. I think it's a little harsh
myself.

As for being someone who prefers Ubuntu, well to be honest I actually
prefer Fedora. Haven't spent some time away from the mailing
lists/wiki I've just had my wiki account reactivated and am looking
forward to writing some docs onto the wiki. I wanted to go with Fedora
as I think it is the more exciting distro, especially after the
sterling release of FC5.

By all means, feel free to disagree/agree/ignore me, but be warned I'm
feeling a little edgy (no pun intended) after having a tooth extracted
today... I'm happy to answer any other questions you may have about
the review.

Thanks,

Andy