Re: Getting close here folks! Looking good.

On Wed, 2006-11-15 at 10:55 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >> The old version was 1.5.0.8, it was not a fedora sourced rpm.  Once
> >> you have installed the real firefox by their installer, updates are
> >> automatic anytime there is one available.
> >
> >----
> >most people have the good sense not to run GUI as root
>
> Chuckle, there ya go again Craig, see how you are?  I'm an old fart and
> the machine is mine...
----
and how am I?

Many Linux distributions disable root login altogether. Many Linux
distributions prevent root login via GUI. You know that it is not
recommended because that means that every process that runs (which is a
lot) when you are in GUI, has root privileges. It means that every
script on every web site you visit, be it java, javascript, whatever,
executes as root. It means that any script you encounter anywhere, be it
in OOo, a shell script, etc. has root privileges. On first boot, you are
told to create a user account and not to run as root. I can't think of a
single thing that you could do that would compromise the security of
your machine more than running as root.

I do know of one OS that routinely has the 'superuser' running in GUI -
it's called Windows.

But yes, it is your machine.

Craig