Re: Getting close here folks! Looking good.

On Wednesday 15 November 2006 11:20, Craig White wrote:
>On Wed, 2006-11-15 at 10:55 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> >----
>> >most people have the good sense not to run GUI as root
>>
>> Chuckle, there ya go again Craig, see how you are?  I'm an old fart
>> and the machine is mine...
>
>----
>and how am I?

I'm in too good a mood to go there, other than to say that as a teacher,
you must be frustrated with this student. :-)

>Many Linux distributions disable root login altogether. Many Linux
>distributions prevent root login via GUI. You know that it is not
>recommended because that means that every process that runs (which is a
>lot) when you are in GUI, has root privileges. It means that every
>script on every web site you visit, be it java, javascript, whatever,
>executes as root. It means that any script you encounter anywhere, be it
>in OOo, a shell script, etc. has root privileges. On first boot, you are
>told to create a user account and not to run as root. I can't think of a
>single thing that you could do that would compromise the security of
>your machine more than running as root.

I'm not sure why, Craig, but when I rebooted after the install, and
firstboot ran, I expected it to ask me to setup a user account.  But it
didn't, and like the missing crontab file, which it appears I am not the
only one on that point, I have NDI why.  I've added me and several others
such as amanda as users, but old habits die hard.

>I do know of one OS that routinely has the 'superuser' running in GUI -
>it's called Windows.

Now go warsh yur mouth out with some of grandmas lye soap, yawl hear!

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)