Re: NVIDIA and DKMS

Claude Jones wrote:

I first learned of dkms on the PCLinuxOS list. I still run one PCLinuxOS box in my workshop. They don't undergo kernel upgrades anywhere near as frequently as Fedora. But that box has survived a number of them, and after a year and a half, is still managing to build the needed modules each time. However, I don't recall whether any of those included a major kernel version upgrade.

One caveat with this is that the compilability of an out of tree module does not always last very long at the moment. For example the config.h being deprecated has caused a lot of drivers to choke at make time.

I think it was Les Mikesell that was wondering why everyone is upgrading their kernel every time a new one comes out, it's actually a good question if you don't have a new chipset or something that is barely working on the cutting edge stuff. Maybe the better solution is to just not update your kernel until you hear about a security problem or a feature that will do you some good. Or only run in-tree drivers if you can (I can't).

-Andy