NVIDIA and DKMS

The Dell DKMS package and NVIDIA driver worked as advertised for me tonight.
It's the first time I'd had occasion to try it on Fedora. For those who don't
know, DKMS (dynamic kernel module support) is a package available from
sourceforge repo. It automatically detects a new kernel when installed, and
builds the new kernel module required to run the NVIDIA driver. I'd seen it
in action on another distro, previously, but had previously used the Livna
repositories to get my modules for ATI and NVIDIA, waiting usually a day or
two or more on occasion, before my video drivers were working again. With the
installation of FC6 I decided to switch over to Freshrpms/Dries which
provides the drivers and DKMS. This was my first test of an update with this
new combo. This was completely painless - I installed the new kernel,
rebooted, and seconds into the reboot, the message appeared that a new module
was being built, which took all of about 15 seconds, then the boot proceeded
normally, and I'm up and running now.

This is not intended to throw gasoline on the recent pis_ing contest - I've
purposefully stayed out of that. BUT, I'm curious. Is there a downside to
DKMS? Why is it not being pushed more agressively? It seems to work quite
well.
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA