Re: Issues w/ cups-lpd

On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 09:02 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> But, HAL only sets up one printer Tim, and I'm used to at least 3, each
> set to a different, known to be working profile.  Its much easier to just
> send the job to the right profile than it is to go into the properties
> and set it up for each job, that sucks.

What's it got to do with HAL?  Use the 'copy printer' button if you want
to duplicate queues.

> But quess what, I couldn't do it like the hal method, I had to use the
> locally usb connected path,

Why not?

>  and gimp-print-ijs, whose quality is terrible
> on an epson.  And each one seems to have its own idea of where the top of
> the page is, with a total vertical wobble of over an inch from one of
> those profiles to the next.  I took my problems to the gimp-print list
> and was told I'd have to build gutenprint from a tarball to fix that.

But Gene, *I* told you what the fix was: install gimp-print-cups.  I
told you on that list!  Did you try it?

> For instance, I have gutenprint and its extras
> also installed, they work much better than the gimp-print-ijs/foomatic
> crap with epson printers, but if I setup a printer with the gutenprint
> alone, then cups complains of a missing script.

This is because there are some scripts that both gimp-print-cups and
gutenprint-cups want to supply.  Since we have not yet made the full
transition to gutenprint, gimp-print-cups provides those at the moment.
The packaging bug that gutenprint-cups not requiring gimp-print-cups is
(I'm told) going to be fixed in the next few days.

> Now, I'm running your system-config-printer utility, and its broken,
> clicking on the change button next to the URI does nothing, zip.  Humm, I
> take it back, but why should it take nearly a minute to open that window,
> and why does it not give me the same HAL derived choice to use that HAL
> used?

I don't know.  Why don't you file a bug report about it and help me fix
that?  I have been working very hard to fix system-config-printer
problems for the last few months, and I'm taking bugzilla reports in
priority order.  Issues that aren't even in bugzilla are just not going
to get fixed, so file bugs!

> I have historically used the IPP for everything as that seems to do the
> job of making the printer available to the rest of my network here, but
> copying what I used in FC2 (with cups-1.2.2) fails totally now.

I don't know what you mean here.

> Trying to select a gutenprint only driver, in the GB_en version gets me a
> message that I must install the gimp-print-cups package to use it.  WTF?
> gutenprint IS its replacement and has been for what, 2 years?

The gimp-print-cups package is required for commandtoepson and
commandtocanon.  We can't have conflicting packages in Fedora, so one of
gimp-print or gutenprint had to take these filters.  gimp-print is what
we're still shipping -- and I really wish we'd had time to incorporate
gutenprint -- and so that's where those filters are.

> But why should I have to install gimp-print-cups-4.2.7 just to use
> gutenprint-cups-5.0?  It is also installed, and should Just Work(TM) so
> can we file a bugzilla because it doesn't?

There is already a bugzilla filed, and the fixed package will be pushed
out in the next few days I'm told.

Tim.
*/