Re: any need for any MTD functionality on a desktop system?

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006, Andy Green wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> >   i notice that the default kernel config shipped with FC6
> > selects, as modules, a sizable selection of options under MTD
> > support.  is there anything here that's actually required on a
> > non-embedded system that has no flash?  my first impression is
> > "no" but i'm willing to be disabused of that notion.
>
> Hi Robert -
>
> I never saw anything use MTD or JFFS2 outside of onboard flash
> devices for embedded: no USB sticks or anything else AFAIK.

yes -- USB sticks appear as SCSI devices, last time i looked, right?

> But since they are modules, isn't it okay that they build the
> modules by default and hardly anyone uses them?  For example NBD
> isn't widely used, but the fact there were modules for it in the
> default Fedora kernel has been really useful for me and nobody else
> had to have it taking up main memory (although I guess a lot of
> people are storing it).

oh, i realize it doesn't hurt to build them as modules, but i'm doing
a walkthrough of a kernel config and build for some folks later this
week (latest "git pull" of kernel on FC6) and part of the discussion
will be what parts of the kernel legitimately *need* to be there for a
reasonably usable build.

i think i'll make that another post under another more general
subject.

rday