Re: any need for any MTD functionality on a desktop system?

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

  i notice that the default kernel config shipped with FC6 selects, as
modules, a sizable selection of options under MTD support.  is there
anything here that's actually required on a non-embedded system that
has no flash?  my first impression is "no" but i'm willing to be
disabused of that notion.

Hi Robert -

I never saw anything use MTD or JFFS2 outside of onboard flash devices for embedded: no USB sticks or anything else AFAIK. But since they are modules, isn't it okay that they build the modules by default and hardly anyone uses them? For example NBD isn't widely used, but the fact there were modules for it in the default Fedora kernel has been really useful for me and nobody else had to have it taking up main memory (although I guess a lot of people are storing it).

-Andy