Re: Problem with the serial port in Fedora Core 6

On Sat, 2006-11-11 at 10:45 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> Anyway, here is the grub.conf as it exists now, whats wrong with it?
> >> ----------------
> >> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> >> #
> >> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
> >> file
> >> # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
> >> #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
> >> #          root (hd0,0)
> >> #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
> >> #          initrd /initrd-version.img
> >> #boot=/dev/hda
> >> default=0
> >> timeout=7
> >> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> >> # hiddenmenu
> >> # 0
> >> title Fedora Core (2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen)
> >> 	root (hd0,0)
> >> 	kernel /xen.gz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6
> >> 	module /vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
> >> 	module /initrd-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen.img
> >>
> >> # 1
> >> title Fedora Core 6 (2.6.19-rc5)
> >> 	root(hd0,0)
> >> 	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.19-rc5 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb
> >> quiet module /initrd-2.6.19-rc5.img
> >>
> >> # 2
> >> title Fedora Core 2 Menu
> >> 	rootnoverify (hd1,0)
> >> 	chainloader +1
> >> # 3
> >> title DOS
> >>         rootnoverify (hd0,1)
> >>         chainloader +1
> >>
> >> --------------
> >> # 1 will unpack, and boot to a missing console message, locked up, so
> >> somethings still missing even after I added the LVM stuffs.  It works
> >> fine for FC2, but without the LVM stuff that I built into this version
> >> after getting a very early crash because it wasn't there.  And believe
> >> it or not, the last 'DOS' entry does display in the boot menu.
> >
> >----
> >I can't tell that anything is wrong with your grub.conf other than I've
> >never seen the labels that you have added in grub and wonder about them.
> >I also wonder if the grub conf that you think is loading is the one that
> >is actually loading since when you add a second disk to the equation,
> >BIOS doesn't always see disk (hd0) or (hd1) as you think it will.
>
> The bios see's them just fine, all 4 of them.  The FC6 install is on a
> 160GB as hd0, the FC2 install is on a 120GB as hd1.  A new lightscribe
> dual layer burner is hd2, and hd3 is a 200GB that amanda yses 180GB of
> for vtapes, FC2's /var is on hd3, and FC2's swap is on hd3. And if you
> are referring to the # 0 etc labels, I've been using them since grub was
> new, what 5 years ago?  There are in fact, 26 such entries in my FC2
> grub.conf, and they all display correctly.  Mmm, it just occured to me
> that maybe its expecting a pair of () around the word 'menu', or maybe a
> kernel version?  But heck, its (the title line) supposedly just a label
> [...]
----
I have never had blank lines nor the extra lines like '# 1' in my
grub.conf but I have no idea what impact that they might have.

I would guess that the reason #1 doesn't fully boot is not a grub issue
but rather an issue with your initrd that accompanies the kernel or that
LVM isn't compiled into the kernel but rather is a module that can't
load from a LVN partition.

Again, I would suggest that you install the regular (non-xen) kernel
from fc6 and boot from that to see what happens - especially with regard
to the serial ports.

Craig