Re: Problem with the serial port in Fedora Core 6

On Friday 10 November 2006 23:42, Craig White wrote:
>On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 22:18 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Friday 10 November 2006 18:35, Ashwin Ganti wrote:
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >We are having trouble with detecting the serial port
>> >in Fedora Core 6.
>> >
>> >When I type the following command:
>> >setserial -g /dev/ttyS*
>> >
>> >I get the following message:
>> >
>> >Cannot get serial info: Invalid argument
>> >/dev/ttyS1: No such device or address
>> >/dev/ttyS2: No such device or address
>> >/dev/ttyS3: No such device or address
>> >
>> >However I tried this on two other machines running
>> >Fedora core 4 and Fedora core 5 and both were able to
>> >detect the serial port
>> >A typical result is
>> >/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
>> >/dev/ttyS1, UART: unknown, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3
>> >/dev/ttyS2, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 4
>> >/dev/ttyS3, UART: unknown, Port: 0x02e8, IRQ: 3
>> >
>> >We are not sure if this is a problem with Fedora Core
>> >6.
>> >
>> >Does anyone know how to fix this issue on Fedora 6?
>> >Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>> >
>> >Thanks.
>>
>> Aha!  So I'm not alone.  It appears there is a multilegged thing
>> called a bug in the present kernel.  Let me make a couple of
>> observations re the config for 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen.  I looked at it
>> with a make xconfig, thinking I might rebuild it, and found with grep:
>>
>> [root@coyote 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6-i586]# grep SER .config
>> CONFIG_SERIO=y
>> CONFIG_SERIO_I8042=y
>> CONFIG_SERIO_SERPORT=y
>> # CONFIG_SERIO_CT82C710 is not set
>> # CONFIG_SERIO_PARKBD is not set
>> # CONFIG_SERIO_PCIPS2 is not set
>> CONFIG_SERIO_LIBPS2=y
>> CONFIG_SERIO_RAW=m
>> CONFIG_SERIAL_NONSTANDARD=y
>> # CONFIG_ESPSERIAL is not set
>> CONFIG_SERIAL_8250=y
>> CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_CONSOLE=y
>> CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_PCI=y
>> CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_PNP=y
>> CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_CS=m
>> CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_NR_UARTS=32 <--------WTH?
>> CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_RUNTIME_UARTS=4 <----WTH?
>> CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_EXTENDED=y
>> CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_MANY_PORTS=y
>> CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_SHARE_IRQ=y
>> CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_DETECT_IRQ=y
>> CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_RSA=y
>> # CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_FOURPORT is not set
>> # CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_ACCENT is not set
>> # CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_BOCA is not set
>> # CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_HUB6 is not set
>> CONFIG_SERIAL_CORE=y
>> CONFIG_SERIAL_CORE_CONSOLE=y
>> CONFIG_SERIAL_JSM=m
>> # CONFIG_SND_SERIAL_U16550 is not set
>>
>> Now, I snipped the USB stuff back out.  And, note that the 8250 is set
>> for 32 of them, with 4 being the default.  My working kernel is 2 & 2
>> there. I think I need a beer, coffee isn't working anymore :)
>>
>> Can we file a bug?
>
>----
>perhaps you should try to absorb the information from Mikkel's post
> [...]

I have read it, several times.  The symptoms he reports are identical to
mine including the responses of setserial.  And, you are missing my
point, which is that I can swap the two drives, putting the drive with
FC2 on it back in the hda position, boot 2.6.19-rc5 from it, and it all
Just Works(TM).  I'd image the FP, if booted to an older release, would
fine his serial ports are just fine too.

In other words Craig, the hardware is fine, that particular software is a
10 day old carcass.

Now, I've just spent the better part of 3 hours playing 10,000 monkeys in
the FC6/boot/grub/grub.conf, trying make either a direct boot from the
drive containing the FC2 install, or to chainload it after setting a root
(hd1,0) between the title line & the kernel lines, and specing
root=/dev/hdb7 as a kernel argument.  That would be a whole lot simpler.

But I cannot get any of my entries that point to /dev/hdb to even show up
in the boot menu on a reboot.  I have added /dev/hdb to the devices.list
also, and I have edited the /etc/fstab of the FC2 disk to reflect that
its now /dev/hdb instead of /dev/hda.

Running an 'mbchk grub.conf' reports theres "no multiboot header", and
while the word 'multiboot' is used in the info file, this "multiboot
header" isn't defined that I can find.  Thats what I love about linux
docs, always 6 months out of date, like when did they change the 'initrd'
line to be a 'module' line?  Or are there subtle differences but the
usage happens to appear identical?

Anyway, here is the grub.conf as it exists now, whats wrong with it?
----------------
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
file
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=7
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
# hiddenmenu
# 0
title Fedora Core (2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /xen.gz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6
	module /vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
	module /initrd-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen.img

# 1
title Fedora Core 6 (2.6.19-rc5)
	root(hd0,0)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.19-rc5 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
	module /initrd-2.6.19-rc5.img

# 2
title Fedora Core 2 Menu
	rootnoverify (hd1,0)
	chainloader +1
# 3
title DOS
        rootnoverify (hd0,1)
        chainloader +1

# 1 will unpack, and boot to a missing console message, locked up, so
somethings still missing even after I added the LVM stuffs.  It works
fine for FC2, but without the LVM stuff that I built into this version
after getting a very early crash because it wasn't there.  And believe it
or not, the last 'DOS' entry does display in the boot menu.

Thanks Craig.

--
Cheers, Gene