Re: Problem with the serial port in Fedora Core 6

On Saturday 11 November 2006 12:30, Craig White wrote:

>> >----
>> >I can't tell that anything is wrong with your grub.conf other than
>> > I've never seen the labels that you have added in grub and wonder
>> > about them. I also wonder if the grub conf that you think is loading
>> > is the one that is actually loading since when you add a second disk
>> > to the equation, BIOS doesn't always see disk (hd0) or (hd1) as you
>> > think it will.
>>
>> The bios see's them just fine, all 4 of them.  The FC6 install is on a
>> 160GB as hd0, the FC2 install is on a 120GB as hd1.  A new lightscribe
>> dual layer burner is hd2, and hd3 is a 200GB that amanda yses 180GB of
>> for vtapes, FC2's /var is on hd3, and FC2's swap is on hd3. And if you
>> are referring to the # 0 etc labels, I've been using them since grub
>> was new, what 5 years ago?  There are in fact, 26 such entries in my
>> FC2 grub.conf, and they all display correctly.  Mmm, it just occured
>> to me that maybe its expecting a pair of () around the word 'menu', or
>> maybe a kernel version?  But heck, its (the title line) supposedly
>> just a label to display to the user AFAIK.
>
>----
>I have never had blank lines nor the extra lines like '# 1' in my
>grub.conf but I have no idea what impact that they might have.

Neither blank lines nor the # comments have ever effected it before.

>I would guess that the reason #1 doesn't fully boot is not a grub issue
>but rather an issue with your initrd that accompanies the kernel or that
>LVM isn't compiled into the kernel but rather is a module that can't
>load from a LVN partition.
>
>Again, I would suggest that you install the regular (non-xen) kernel
>from fc6 and boot from that to see what happens - especially with regard
>to the serial ports.
>
>Craig

And that worked, I now have the usual serial discovery stanza's in my
dmesg, and heyu is happy.

So its the xen, whatever that is, thats screwing it up. I tried to
bugzilla the missing ttyS's, but bugzilla didn't like my password.  So I
sent an email to the link provided and now have a reject message from
bugzilla.  Post by non-member.

--
Cheers, Gene