Re: Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !

On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 10:38 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:

> >>It would be nice if everything worked out of the box, but the Linux
> >>kernel folks have never felt bound to provide stable kernel interfaces
> >>for drivers, leading to constant and routine need for users to source
> >>newer versions of third party drivers (if they even exist) that have
> >>been updated to the new interface change.
> >>
> >>Consider: what's changed? NVidia's driver? No. Your laptop hardware? No.
> >>What's changed is the Linux kernel interface. Thanks Linus!
> >

> > Having a stable in-kernel API is complete nonsense. It would function
>
> May I ask how many years experience you have with kernel development
> of any operating system? I wrote a small real time OS in 1984, and
> have developed or supported four others[*] during the years 1986 through
> 2002. I also have written device drivers for the same four, and led
> a team of 15 engineers for 18 months doing device driver and hardware
> interface/board support code. I have written the initial boot ROMs
> for two boards, and helped develop same for five others.
>
> Oddly, I don't think that having a stable API for device drivers
> is complete nonsense.

I think you could find a successful real-world example or two to
demonstrate that binary drivers are usable in practice.  But
this is a religious, not a practical issue other than the point
that someone supplying binary drivers might not make them available
for all the processor types where someone might want them.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx