RE: Server Locking Up

On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 10:52 -0600, Cody Holland wrote:
> I did not....unfortunately I didn't even know about this
> program. Looks like I'm making a trip to our data center. Any other
> tools or ideas?

When you say "lock up", do you mean the application stops responding, or
the entire server stops responding, i.e. you can't get an SSH session or
run any commands on the server?

This is significant because the problem may not be related to Linux at
all. I encountered a particularly embarrassing situation many years ago,
during a demo of a Java application I wrote, when the application seemed
to have locked up and the hard disk kept thrashing madly. This was due
to the Java garbage collector. No messages will appear in /var/log
either. The way to troubleshoot this would be to set memory parameters
when invoking the 'java' command, or better yet, put a profiler in and
see which parts of the software are the culprits.

If you are sure it is not the garbage collector, then you should really
check the server hardware. I once had a server motherboard that would
lock up randomly. Eventually, I found out from a forum that it was due
to a under-rated capacitor being used in the motherboard. It was a Abit
BP6, if I recall correctly. The only motherboard that supported dual
Celeron processors.