Re: Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !

On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 10:32 -0700, Kim Lux wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 17:26 +0000, Scott van Looy wrote:
>
> > Uhm. Why don't you just:
> > rpm -Uvh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-6.rpm
> > yum install fedorakmod
> > yum install kmod-nvidia
> >
> > Or is that a silly question?
>
> Silly, me, for not knowing that off the top of my head this morning when
> I couldn't google it.
>
> I already have livna installed as a repository. And, btw, if you read my
> post, you will see that I did "yum kmod-nvidia".  First of all, that
> FAILED for kernel 2798.  Secondly, livna doesn't have a module built for
> 2835, just like they didn't have a <working> module for 2798 when I
> updated to fc6 !  Its not like I didn't try them, twice now !
>
> And is this the sort of stuff we expect joe average computer user to do,
> because after all, Linux is ready for the <average> desktop !   So when
> my mom, who doesn't even know what a command line is, boots and X
> doesn't start, what do I do with her ?

Since she probably has the intelligence and problem solving experience
you do (as already pointed out,  10 year old level) you can both whine
together.

But, as you already pointed out, the nv driver does not support
dual-head.  How many joe-the-average-users are going to need dual head.
All other circumstances except the 3-D and dual head are flawlessly
covered by the native nv driver.