Re: Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !

Kim Lux wrote:
On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 17:26 +0000, Scott van Looy wrote:

Uhm. Why don't you just:
rpm -Uvh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-6.rpm
yum install fedorakmod
yum install kmod-nvidia

Or is that a silly question?

Silly, me, for not knowing that off the top of my head this morning when
I couldn't google it.

I already have livna installed as a repository. And, btw, if you read my
post, you will see that I did "yum kmod-nvidia".  First of all, that
FAILED for kernel 2798.  Secondly, livna doesn't have a module built for
2835, just like they didn't have a <working> module for 2798 when I
updated to fc6 !  Its not like I didn't try them, twice now !

I made a hard-and-fast rule, when I started depending on kernel-module packages for either ATI-fglrx (which I probably still haven't used to its full advantage) or madwifi. That rule is:

Never, repeat never, update a kernel unless and until someone has built and published versions of /all/ modular drivers that will work with the new kernel.

Another rule I follow is to keep /three/ versions of the kernel in place: the current one, and the last two known good. And if a new kernel blows up, I revert to the one I was using and wait for the next cycle.

And is this the sort of stuff we expect joe average computer user to do,
because after all, Linux is ready for the <average> desktop !   So when
my mom, who doesn't even know what a command line is, boots and X
doesn't start, what do I do with her ?

You manage her machine for her, with a much less frequent update and upgrade cycle.

Windows might look nice, but on the day it lets a virus, worm, or trojan in, it won't look so friendly anymore.

Temlakos