Re: Fedora 5 or 6 on Tyan K8QW (S4881) + M4881, 8 processors, 128 GB

Thank you for your answers about running Fedora 5 or 6 on a Tyan K8QW.

> Specifically you will need to run FC5 or FC5 x86_64 to use more than
4GB of RAM properly.

We want to use the 64 bit version of FC5 or FC6, I forgot to mention
that.

> Which kernel are you using? and which ones have you tried out?

We cannot try a kernel on a Tyan system because we are only considering
to buy one, but we usually closely follow the Fedora kernel updates.

> BTW, considering the price of the machine, I assume this is a
production
> machine - shouldn't you be using RHEL instead?

We are also considering RHEL but the machine will be used for scientific
research by a group that is always asking for the newest version of
libraries for the software that they develop.
We do not demand that all of the software in the distribution runs
flawlessly, but some basic things such as access to processors, memory,
disks and network should work.

Vincent