Re: Why do so many packaged rely on gnome-panel?

Norm wrote:
On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 14:50:51 -0600
lostson <lostson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Saturday 04 November 2006 14:36, Norm wrote:

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 04:14:41 +1800

"Arthur Pemberton" <pemboa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I just installed FC6 tonight. I chose KDE over Gnome. And I just
thought to check what exactly was on my system and if I could
clean it up a bit. During my poking around I realised that 71
packages rely on gnome-keyring.

The name, and the description in the RPM suggest that this a
password management tool. Removing this would take with it: libs,
openoffice, koffice, 4 system config tools, 2 out of 3 of my
browsers , to sound engines and 2 media players to name a few
things.

There are a lot of deps that seem strange to me, I suppose in my
ignorance.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Another example would be tat removign gnome-panel cascades into
having to remove kerry (KDE beagle front end) although beagle
seems to be sepeated into a daemon and a gui package , and
gnome-panel seems to be a gui component.

So instead of filing  a ton og BZs and making a fool of myself,
I'm asking questions  here.

Thank you.

I have virtually the same question except in reverse. I prefer Gnome
yet I too have a number of dep from kde. It seems you can not have
one with out the other.

It depends on what apps you run, for instance if you are a gnome
user but = use=20
amarok it will require some kde deps. Same with kde, many of the
fedora too= ls=20
are gnome based so your gonna get gnome deps via that way.  Its a
horse a=20 piece most of the time and besides you get the best of
both worlds!! =2D-=20
LostSon

http://www.lostsonsvault.org

[...]

user but use amarok it will require some kde deps. Same with kde,
many of the fedora tools are gnome based so your gonna get gnome deps
via that way.  Its a horse a piece most of the time and besides you
get the best of both worlds!!

That was actually the point I was aiming at.  There is no point in
declaring oneself a which ever choice and getting into a snit if some
of the other parts appear.  My guess is there is enough of a crossover
between them that it would take a considerable effort to not load a
package that needed the other ones deps -life is too short to worry
about that. I suppose I could declare my self a purist and only run applications
from command line but then I had enough of that in the era before the
1990s, and besides I am lazy if a gui works I prefer to go that route.

Someone may be able to confirm but didn't I read someplace about a common base library for both gnome and kde being developed to get around these issues? I did a quick search but couldn't find the details at this time.

I understand the reasoning behind this common front is to make it easier to deploy either gnome or kde into the business environment and not have to worry about searching for gnome or kde libs if you want an application from the other.

--
Robin Laing