Re: Why do so many packaged rely on gnome-panel?

On Saturday 04 November 2006 14:36, Norm wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 04:14:41 +1800
>
> "Arthur Pemberton" <pemboa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I just installed FC6 tonight. I chose KDE over Gnome. And I just
> > thought to check what exactly was on my system and if I could clean it
> > up a bit. During my poking around I realised that 71 packages rely on
> > gnome-keyring.
> >
> > The name, and the description in the RPM suggest that this a password
> > management tool. Removing this would take with it: libs, openoffice,
> > koffice, 4 system config tools, 2 out of 3 of my browsers , to sound
> > engines and 2 media players to name a few things.
> >
> > There are a lot of deps that seem strange to me, I suppose in my
> > ignorance.
> >
> > Can anyone shed some light on this?
> >
> > Another example would be tat removign gnome-panel cascades into having
> > to remove kerry (KDE beagle front end) although beagle seems to be
> > sepeated into a daemon and a gui package , and gnome-panel seems to be
> > a gui component.
> >
> > So instead of filing  a ton og BZs and making a fool of myself, I'm
> > asking questions  here.
> >
> > Thank you.
>
> I have virtually the same question except in reverse. I prefer Gnome
> yet I too have a number of dep from kde. It seems you can not have one
> with out the other.

 It depends on what apps you run, for instance if you are a gnome user but use
amarok it will require some kde deps. Same with kde, many of the fedora tools
are gnome based so your gonna get gnome deps via that way.  Its a horse a
piece most of the time and besides you get the best of both worlds!!
--
LostSon

http://www.lostsonsvault.org