Re: FC-6: four small whinges

Timothy Murphy wrote:
ne... wrote:

On 11/7/06, Timothy Murphy <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well, I don't like to quote the competition,
but Windows always seems to respond immediately you put a disk in
and click OK.
It seems clear to me that Anaconda knows a disk has been inserted,
since the read starts immediately.
Perhaps it should change the message to something like,
"Please wait while we check the disk".

File a RFE.

I also use KDE and got the choice between KDE & GNOME. I used the DVD
tho. None was hidden. BUT, I also had to go thru the individual
packages and unselect the GNOME stuff as it wanted to install that
instead of the KDE defaults. I then had to select the KDE stuff.

Exactly.
That is what I meant by "hidden".
Why not just ask if the user wants to use KDE or Gnome?

The initial selection is geared towards novice users with task based groups instead of a blanket list of packages.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tours/FedoraCore6/004_Install_Default_Software

Other users who want to choose a specific desktop environment,text editor, mail server or whatever can do that by selecting individual packages or groups. Desktop environments are a very prominent choice there.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tours/FedoraCore6/007_Install_Applications

When repositories like extras/core are unified it would become unwieldy if Anaconda has a separate step asking users if they want GNOME or KDE or XFCE or other dozens of desktops environments and windows managers.

Rahul