Re: FC-6: four small whinges

ne... wrote:

> On 11/7/06, Timothy Murphy <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I just installed FC-6 on a ThinkPad T23 from CDs.
>> All went well, but I have four small complaints:
>>
>> 1. After putting in a new disk and pressing OK,
>> the message to put in a new disk remains on the screen for a minute or
>> so. I think there should be a more or less immediate response
>> on clicking an OK box.

> When you put the disc in, you need to wait until it has finished
> reading the disc before pressing the OK. It will then continue fine.

Well, I don't like to quote the competition,
but Windows always seems to respond immediately you put a disk in
and click OK.
It seems clear to me that Anaconda knows a disk has been inserted,
since the read starts immediately.
Perhaps it should change the message to something like,
"Please wait while we check the disk".

My point is that when there is no response,
and the "Please insert disk" notice remains,
it is not clear if Anaconda actually knows that you have clicked OK.
In my case this means I click again, press Enter, etc.

>> 4. I use KDE.
>> I would have thought there should be a simple choice offered:
>> KDE or Gnome.
>> In fact the choice seems to be (deliberately?) hidden.

> I also use KDE and got the choice between KDE & GNOME. I used the DVD
> tho. None was hidden. BUT, I also had to go thru the individual
> packages and unselect the GNOME stuff as it wanted to install that
> instead of the KDE defaults. I then had to select the KDE stuff.

Exactly.
That is what I meant by "hidden".
Why not just ask if the user wants to use KDE or Gnome?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366