Re: Show-stopper for me

On Wednesday 08 November 2006 06:29, Tim wrote:
>Gene Heskett:
>
>Tim:
>>> I'm not surprised.  That's still damn cheap.  And webcams are
>>> generally designed to manage to get some sort of picture in bad
>>> lighting, rather than be very good.
>
>Anne Wilson:
>> Tim, I know my Philips webcam was cheap, but it used to work with
>> GnomeMeeting.  The picture was clear and the colour not too far out.
>
>My "I'm not surprised" comment was about the photographic ability...
>Sure, you can get some interesting features in a webcam, but they're not
>a patch on a real camera.
>
>I have this rather awful "WonderEye" camera, which doesn't have a mic.
>It works with FC4 and FC5 (I haven't tried FC6, yet).  I notice that FC5
>crashes if I unplug it, whether or not the camera was in use.  FC4
>doesn't do that.
>
>I can't imagine an OS having any affect on the sharpness of the picture.
>That's an optics and electronics issue.  Though computer contol of video
>gain might add noise and that could smudge things if there's a poor
>attempt at noise reduction.  And trying to use a low-res device on
>something that wants more pixels, which doubles up to simulate things,
>can make things look even worse.  Colour is yet another thing, as white
>balance (tinting) is controlled by the computer.
>
>I'd be quite surprised at any USB camera doing what I'd consider to be a
>good job.  They're designed for a rather low-spec job (low-res, and
>heavy compression for a low transmission bandwidth).  High-res wouldn't
>be of much good over the internet, anyway.  Especially with the common
>compression protocols being used.

All moderately true.  My main bitch about the $70 webcam wasn't sharpness,
but the absolutely atrocious color rendition, as if there was zero
contrast in the vectorscope axis that represented skin tones.  I don't
look at all good in a chartruese tee-shirt that looks as if it bled over
into my face, particularly when its a brand new white one I'm wearing.
Under around 250 watts equ in ccfl lighting from 5 feet away.  It makes me
look like an escapee from a grade C haloween movie.  I may be an old fart,
but I'm still activated. (yet)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)