Re: Screen Freeze

Per-Anton Rønning wrote:

I am not alone having this problem obviously (ref. Nigel - FC2), and I have also had it with SuSE, Mandrake and Mandriva. But never with good old Red Hat 7.2!

Well a lot of code changed since RH7.2 :-) Maybe the nVidia binary can solve your problem, but I would be tempted to try to see if I could find the direction it is coming from first, because otherwise one is just swapping things out hoping for a magic result without even a little understanding of what the rules of the game are. That would mean next time you must ssh in, do

less /var/log/Xorg.0.log

and hit the End key to see what the last kind of happenings are in the log. Also

dmesg

and again look for any funnies.  Then

killall Xorg

and see if your box comes back okay without needing a reboot.

Also if there is a BIOS update for your motherboard possible, maybe that is worth a go.

A lot of folks report having luck with the livna packaged version of the nVidia binary if you do have to go that route.

-Andy