Screen Freeze

Hi all.
A very annoying feature has suddenly caught up with me, now when running FC5. This has been a plague earlier with other distros, and after installing FC5 it was "clean" for quite some time, until suddenly and with no apparent motivation the screen freezes, i.e., no keyboard typing and no mouseclicks are accepted. Programs are still running, I have a back door via my old backup machine, that is, I can establish a SSH-connection and do a controlled shutdown via that back door. If I am runnig emacs it seems to save the latest input in a #<filename.cc># file, so nothing is lost. But it is annoying hainv to restart the computer so frequently. Has anyone else experienced this? Has anyone (in case) found a cure, or is this something I have to live with?
Could it be hardware related? Or driver related?
I would be very thankful to have some comments on this.

PA