Re: i386 RPMs in x86_64 repos?

Les Mikesell writes:

On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 18:40 -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

I must've been out of town, recently, but I thought that Fedora was supposed to be a distribution based solely on free and open source software.

The fact that it only includes open source does not mean it should limit
you to only running open source products, or even that it should force
you to recompile everything.

Of course not.  But that's not what I wrote.

Building all the 32-bit does not involve pushing a button or two. Significant effort must be expended at carefully compiling and setting up all the multilib stuff to work correctly. Not to mention the crazy stuff that must occur inside Anaconda.

FC6 is clearly a change of policy. Previously, it's been stated quite clearly that, of course, nobody would go out of their way to prevent non-free software from running on Fedora, but that nobody would go out of their way to accomodate them either.

Well, we've went a long way, baby.  That much, is quite obviously.

And that, I suspect is the real reason Anaconda foisted on me all that crap I spent nearly a whole day carefully removing. I blew away nearly two hundred 32bit packages, roughly.

That doesn't sound right.  You should mostly just have 32 bit libraries.

FC6 RPMS directory, off the DVD:

# ls | sed 's/.*\.\([^\.][^\.]*\)\.rpm/\1/' | sort | uniq -c
   704 i386
     1 i586
     6 i686
   285 noarch