Re: Tips for passing the media check

Paul Howarth wrote:
Indeed, and turning off DMA doesn't always fix the problem either. Alan Cox suggests just not bothering with the media check at all.

Except that the installer is not at all graceful about handling data problems during the actual installation process. More than once, I've gotten near the end of an install and had a read error (sometimes a flakey drive; sometimes a bad cd), at which point you are back exactly to square one. No manual re-tries, no re-tries from another drive, no skip the package and go on. At least if the media check succeeds, I've never had the install die later on.