Re: Tips for passing the media check

Matthew J. Roth wrote:
List members,

I downloaded the FC6 installation images to my Windows XP machine and used Nero to burn them to CDs, but the media check kept failing. After some research, I found a reliable method for burning installation CDs that pass the media check.

6) Burn the images to CD
- cdrecord -v -pad

It's the -pad which makes all the difference. This works around a bug in the kernel which causes the mediacheck to fail.

You don't need to fix this when burning your cds though, when you boot off your install cd just start the install using:

linux nocddma

instead of just 'linux', and the mediacheck should work properly (whether your CDs were burned with or without padding).

Just as a thought - why is nocddma not made the default in the install kernel (ie the one used during install rather than the one which is actually installed). Are there any downsides to this? It would save a lot of these explanatory messages after every release...

Simon.