Re: nvidia drivers from freshrpms.net

Hi Fernando,

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 15:23:40 -0300
Fernando Lozano <fernando@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> If I switch to the livna.org nvida drivers, which packages do I have
> to install? just the xen ones for kmod-nvidia and xorg-x11-drv-nvidia?

No need to do that, Freshrpms should work just fine. Besides, mixing
Livna and Freshrpms might give you some other headaches.

I had some problems here as well, and they were due to the i586 x i686
kernel mess. Matthias Saou from Freshrpms showed me how to spot the
problem:

rpm -qa --qf '%{name}\t%{arch}\n' 'kernel*'

This will tell you which kernel you have installed. If yours is i586
and kernel-devel is i686, dkms won't be able to build kernel module for
NVidia driver.

If that's your case, there's a simple workaround using yumdownloader
(found on yum-utils), it's been posted here on this list.

As someone noticed, you'll also need dkms, but this should have been
installed already when you installed the driver package from Freshrpms.

HTH

Andre

--
Andre Oliveira da Costa