Re: Is KDE on Fedora really that bad?

On Thu, 2006-11-02 at 19:25 +0000, Chris Jones wrote:
> >  that
> > I could access "Suspend" or "Hibernate" in the Gnome menu, but I
> > couldn't easily find them in KDE on FC (at least on FC5).
>
> I agree. I love KDE and find gnome boring, but it is little things like this
> that might KDE inferior on FC. The FC s develop nice scripts for
> hibernation/suspend (all the menu items in gnome do is run pm-hibernate and
> pm-suspend, as far as I can tell) but only bother to tie them into the gnome
> dsktop. How hard would it be to just add a few menu items to KDe as well. Not
> very.
>
> Similarly for compiz, it works fine under gnome, they even made a menu item to
> activate it, but again didn't bother for KDE :(
>
> Heres hoping stuff like this gets done better once KDE is in extras ?

The sad thing is that if you venture into the KDE IRC list and mention
Fedora or RedHat, the crowd gets a little ugly, like real fast. They see
RH/FC leaning largely to Gnome and I have no excuse for it. I love my
RedHat, even worked there long ago. But IMHO, Gnome reeks. RH is
wrong-headed in the decision to support it when KDE has a very viable
community and could very well be THE contender for the Desktop against
the common foe, M$, especially if RH would put resources towards it and
just give Gnome a decent burial. I was in marketing for 26 years, and I
would much rather rep for KDE than Gnome any day of the week, I hope
Mathew reads this and, most importantly, listens to the old guy that
used to catnap in front of his monitor, with his hands on the keyboard.
Trust me on this, and then find me an "American WooMan" Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net