Re: too many open files. How to increase the limit

Il giorno gio, 02/11/2006 alle 16.05 +0200, Gilboa Davara ha scritto:

> I know that's not the answer you're looking for, but increasing the file
> handle count will not prevent evolution from crashing - it'll only make
> evolution make more noise when it crashes.
> File handle limitation is there for a reason - to prevent one
> application for taking down the system.
> Letting evolution eat unlimited number of file handles will only risk
> the stability of other applications instead of fixing the problem.
I know risks related to consuming resource, but I experienced that
limiting evo to 10000 files instead of 1024 let me working with evo
without the problem.
I see the problem only starting evo, and I think that it's because the
number of folders and messages I have.
If I'm able to start evo without openfile limit, I can work with evo
opened for hours.

> As for getting a fixed version in FC5, can you post a bug report in
> bugzilla?
Bug (or problem) was fixed by the evolution team with the new release
(because the bug was hard to solve without rewriting code).
The new release is available on FC6 but not on FC5, and there aren't rpm
on evolution (novell) site.

Bye
 Ambrogio