Re: mount doesn't mount on boot-up [OT]

Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 20:46 -0700, David G. Miller wrote:
> I'm guessing there is a user program such as diskdruid to change the > partition label. Unfortunately, I don't know what it is.

apropos label

e2label              (8)  - Change the label on an ext2/ext3 filesystem
findfs               (8)  - Find a filesystem by label or UUID
mlabel               (1)  - make an MSDOS volume label
ppmlabel             (1)  - add text to a PPM image
vol_id               (8)  - probe filesystem type and read label and uuid

man e2label
A more correct explanation as to why I didn't know the command is I usually don't bother with partition labels. If I add a drive to a system, I've usually found it easier to just change fstab to use the actual device for any affected partitions. There's probably a good reason to use labels instead of devices but I'm not aware of what that reason is. Not sure why the OP is having problems and using the device in fstab doesn't seem to be working for him. It works from the command line which makes no sense.

My first exposure to man pages was on HP-UX (late 1980s) so I prefer "man -k" to apropos. Besides, fewer letters to type. :D

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce