Re: mount doesn't mount on boot-up [OT]

On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 08:27 -0700, David G. Miller wrote:
> I usually don't bother with partition labels.  If I add a drive to a
> system, I've usually found it easier to just change fstab to use the
> actual device for any affected partitions.

/me too, twice over...

> There's probably a good reason to use labels instead of devices but
> I'm not aware of what that reason is.

Here's one example:  If one were to be dealing with several swappable
drives (e.g. drives in those removable caddies), there's a certain
amount of ease that mounting via a volume name can be done without
having to figure out which particular /dev/hd parameter to use.  Even
more so, if you're using those drives across several computers (that's a
lot of /dev/hd variations to keep in your head).

And then there's managing a drive when the system's had a bit of a
stuff-up.  You have to peruse around to work out which partition is
which, but you can very simply use a label to mount /home, for instance,
without having to care which partition it was on.

I read messages from the public lists.