Re: Installing FC6 from USB drive

Rick Bilonick wrote:
On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 23:01 -0400, Terry Polzin wrote:
On Sunday October 29 2006 18:31, Rick Bilonick wrote:
On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 18:38 -0400, Terry Polzin wrote:
On Sunday October 29 2006 16:49, Rick Bilonick wrote:
I've heard that FC6 can be installed from a USB drive. The RedHat site
that has info on USB install seems to be down. Can anyone explain how
to install FC6 from a USB drive? Do I need to remove everything from my
USB drive and just put the contents from the DVD iso disc onto the USB
drive and change the bios settings to boot from the USB drive?

Can I put the DVD iso file on my hard drive and install from there?

Rick
You can install from a USB drive you need expert mode to see the USB
devices at boot.

Alternatively, you can put the DVD image in a filesystem that will not be
updated during the install/upgrade process.  You still need to boot from
the boot.iso or ore of the other images in the image directory on the DVD
image. Booting from the rescue CD should also work.  At the boot prompt
respond " linux askmethod"
OK, I loaded the DVD disk contents to the USB hard drive. But I'm
wondinger if I should be copying the iso file itself. When I boot the
DVD iso file, I eventually get to a menu that includes /dev/sda1 and
asks for a directory holding "images". I've tried putting several things
here (like "images") but it reports "Failed to read
directory /tmp/hdimage/images: No such file or directory."

OK how did you copy the DVD.iso to the USB drive?
I'm guessing that you mounted the image -o loop and then did some kind of a recursive copy down the tree of the loopback mount-point to the USB disk. If that's the case the directory containing the image is /dev/sda1.

Unfortunately, no. The iso file is on my work computer. All I had was
the DVD install disk which I copied to the hard drive and of course it
doesn't work. I'll save a copy of the iso file as a data file on a DVD,
and then copy it to the hard drive and mount it as you suggest. I should
have known that from other things I've done. I think it should be
something like:

mount FC-6-x86_64-DVD.iso -r -t iso9660 -o loop /some_mount_pt

I'm still not clear as to the directory. If I dump the iso to the USB
drive or to the hard drive, there are going to be other directories and
files on the drive. Somehow I have to tell it where to find things but
it's unclear to me.

Thanks for your help.

Rick

I believe that you need to start the install using expert mode. Then you should be prompted for install from hard drive. There should be a prompt for the device followed by a prompt for directory where you locate the iso file or files. Anaconda should do the mount and loop functionality steps.

This worked for an IDE drive. I am not sure if it would work for getting the files from a USB drive though. It should, but am not positive.

Without running expert, USB drive drivers are not loaded.

Your experimentation required.

Jim

--
"I remember when I was a kid I used to come home from Sunday School and
 my mother would get drunk and try to make pancakes."