Re: FC5 and compiz

On 10/27/06, Ric Moore <wayward4now@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 12:26 -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:

> > shoehorn and curses. I have to live with this machine and I'd hate to be
> > deprived of my one addiction. (OK, make it second addiction) I want the
> > result of this major upgrade to be forever yum upgradable and "approved"
> > meaning I can get some form of relief should it blowup anyway.
> > And! ...shown how to do eet stepper by stepper, just like a harddrive
> > thinks. Thanks for all the work over there at nVidia Lonnie!!! But,
> > James made some very basic assumptions that this user would be where he
> > is, technologically speaking, and that ain't the case. Ric
>
> What isn't the case?
XOrg 7.1 or later
Well, it says make sure you have the latest X0rg. Like the cockroach man
from "The Men In Black" crashing around going "Where is it!? Where - is
- it?!" rpm -q xorg or Xorg or XOrg jeesus. I fergit! Nice docs would
say -check using rpm -q Xorg-blahblah  nice step by step for the
braindead or Good Ole Mum. I'd like to have this pain over in 10 minutes
or less.

The nvnews instructions are intentionally not distro specific.  The
first 5 lines of /var/log/Xorg.0.log will show you the version you're
using.  The short answer is that you need FC6 for Xorg-7.1.x.

NVIDIA graphics drivers >= 1.0-9625
>From where?? link to driver that is yum supported or link to one that is
not. check this, check that. Use this one at your own risk, that kinda
thing. I beleive and trust in you and nVidea explicitly. It seems the
Fedora / RH stance is to trust only livna-brand rpms. What the fizeck do
I or the average user know? I've never figured that one out, as you love
what you do and it's not about the Ka-ching!

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-9626.html

---
I speak for myself, not my employer.