Re: FC5 and compiz

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 10:39 -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> On 10/27/06, ethericalzen@xxxxxxxxx <ethericalzen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 12:57:58 -0400
> > Ric Moore <wayward4now@xxxxxxxxx> took out a #2 pencil and
> > scribbled:
> >
> > > Guys and Gals, I'm getting to information overload here and my
> > > brain hurts. Is there one definitive site with a step-by-step to
> > > install FC5 compiz for my GeForce FX 5200? So far I have the
> > > 1.0-8774 driver version, 128 MB of video memory and it sez Bus
> > > Type AGP 8X
> >
> > Just out of curiosity. Are you trying to get AIGLX working along
> > with compiz? That will not work without the 9626 nvidia driver. the
> > 8xxx series doesn't have the GLX component to do the 3d stuff from
> > AIGLX. If you're just installing compiz, well..yeah there's that
> > then.
>
> See:
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77030

Lonnie, been there.. first it starts off with assumptions that I have
already done so and so and I'm not sure that I have. A step by step is
really better, for idiots and dear ole Mum. <grins> My fear is that I'll
do something half-baked and wind up with a locked machine or something
equally dreadful.

I have dnloaded the 9626 nvidea driver from nVidia. But with all of the
caveats in the past against doing so, should I instead try livna and
yum? I don't want to grab packages willy-nilly and jam them in with a
shoehorn and curses. I have to live with this machine and I'd hate to be
deprived of my one addiction. (OK, make it second addiction) I want the
result of this major upgrade to be forever yum upgradable and "approved"
meaning I can get some form of relief should it blowup anyway.
And! ...shown how to do eet stepper by stepper, just like a harddrive
thinks. Thanks for all the work over there at nVidia Lonnie!!! But,
James made some very basic assumptions that this user would be where he
is, technologically speaking, and that ain't the case. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net