Re: fixing amarok- an easy solution !

I found the easiest way to fix amarok so that it can play mp3 and flac
files is to install xine and then Settings-> Configure Amarok->Engine.
Change the engine from Helix to Xine.  Press Apply. Press Details. Exit
and restart.

Amarok will now play mp3 and flac files via the xine engine.

I've found the fc6 version of amarok to be a bit unstable.  For some
reason it seems to help to run it from the command line.

xine doesn't seem to be in Fedora Extras, at least not here.
http://dl.atrpms.net/fc6-i386/redhat/extras/

I found it at livna.

I setup yum to use livna (http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/)
http://rpm.livna.org/)  by issuing the following commands:

rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-6.rpm

rpm --import http://rpm.livna.org/RPM-LIVNA-GPG-KEY

The command to install xine is then just yum install xine

I know that installing the gStream dirty and ugly plugins is supposed to
enable Helix to play mp3s and flacs, but I couldn't easily get it to
work.

Hope this helps someone.

--
Kim Lux,  Diesel Research Inc.