Re: No Sectors left of 120GB Drive

On Thursday 05 October 2006 21:18, jdow wrote:
>From: "Tim" <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>> On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 03:02 -0700, jdow wrote:
>>> As a side note the partition tables the Amiga had actually could
>>> support descriptions for nested data partitions quite safely. There
>>> were "reserved" blocks at the head of a partition and similar reserved
>>> blocks at the end of a partition space. I explored these possibilities
>>> as I wrote the partitioning software supplied by a major Amiga hard
>>> disk controller manufacturer.
>>
>> And there wasn't any of this primary / extended / logical partitions
>> inside extended partitions, gobbledygook, either.  It was just
>> partitions inside the drive.
>>
>> Speaking of Amigas, have you got Fedora to read any Amiga FFS hard
>> drives, or even Zip discs?  I've got a hankering to transfer some old
>> data onto Fedora, and I'd rather not have to try getting Samba working
>> with Miami over a serial port link.  Ugh, torture!
>
>Of course, there is even an Amiga SFS driver available if you look
>for it. It reads both my 18 G main hard disk with "odd" formatting
>and the 2k per block Fujitsu Magneto Optical disks I have. (My odd
>formatting embeds the "RDBs" (Amiga's partition blocks) within the
>first partition within reserved space just to prove it could be
>done and make sure regarding how to make it safe.

I also played with that reserved area somewhat back in the mists of time.

I have, in the unbootable amiga yet, an amiga drive that was partitioned
all for an earlier version of SFS (Before it went underground and
eventually turned up commercially), and which I believe contains all of
the ezcron and ezhome stuff Jim and I ever wrote.  Where might I find this
bit of magic for linux?

The idea is that if we ever could recover the real srcs, we'ed publish it
under the GPL since any chance of deriving any income is long gone.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)