Re: Swap space question

On Sat, 2006-09-30 at 08:48, Ric Moore wrote:

> I think a lot of documentation was written in the days of 8 megs of
> memory. I remember being the envy of the computer club with 16megs. At
> install I've just let Fedora set it up for me without asking.
> --

My experience is that somewhere around when the system has used
1 gig of swap it will become so slow that you'll assume it crashed
and reboot it instead of waiting to see if things get better or
keep getting worse.  It will depend on the application load of
course, but if the machine needs to be responsive it shouldn't
be paging a lot to disk.  If it is, you need more RAM.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx