Re: Swap space question

On Saturday 30 September 2006 14:48, Ric Moore wrote:

> > "Reserve two to five times as much disk space as you have real memory
> > for swap. It doesn't make sense to go any lower, because you may
> > actually risk running out of memory. If you go higher and actually
> > intend to use all of this swap space, you will likely suffer serious
> > performance problems because the system will spend all of its time
> > swapping (a condition known as thrashing). "

<snip>

> I think a lot of documentation was written in the days of 8 megs of
> memory. I remember being the envy of the computer club with 16megs. At
> install I've just let Fedora set it up for me without asking.

I've seen some expert users confirm that, and say that it was largely true
until you got to 512MB swap, after which there was little improvement to be
had.  It has also been said that if you write frequently to two drives it can
improve performance to have a swap partition on both drives.

Anne