Re: Swap space question

Hi Nicolas,

> If you go higher and actually
> intend to use all of this swap space, you will likely suffer serious
> performance problems because the system will spend all of its time
> swapping (a condition known as thrashing). "

A system will traditionally use swap space when it runs out of memory
for the task it's running. Think production environment with very heavy
load like database dealing with a LOT of requests etc.

A good tip taken from the RHEL 4 installation manual
(http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/x8664-multi-install-guide/s1-diskpartitioning.html#S2-DISKPARTRECOMMEND)
is "If your partitioning scheme requires a swap partition that is larger
than 2 GB, you should create an additional swap partition. For example,
if you need 4 GB of swap, you should create two 2 GB swap partitions. If
you have 4 GB of RAM, you should create three 2 GB swap partitions." but
bear in mind we're talking production server and not workstation.

> i can't understand why if create a really big swap partition i will have
> a performance decrease????It seems to me
>  that in the worst case scenario, i will be throwing disk space [because
> the system will never use the swap partition if it doesn't need
> it......why this would have a negative impact on the system......]

This is because you see it from the user point of view...
A home user with  recent hardware will usually not suffer or notice load
on his/her machine. Go with the default from the installer.

> thanks in advance,
>
> Nicolas Ang

Hope this helps

Thierry