Re: dual-boot attempt (crossposted to both fedora and kubuntu lists)

Tony Nelson wrote:
At 4:02 PM -0400 9/24/06, anthony baldwin wrote:
Greetings.

I am trying to make a dual boot with FC5 and Kubunut 6.06.1

I installed FC 5 first on hda1, and it was good.
then installed Kubunut on hda2, booted into kubu, and all seemed good, too.
But then, attempt to reboot did not give me access to Fedora.
So I edited /grug/menu.lst, and attempted to reboot, found the
fedora entry and tried to boot it, and got a kernel panic.
So I reinstalled the FC5, and, looked good, again (oddly, it seems
to have just
repaired the previous install, because what little data I had on the
drive, and settings like wallpaper, were still in place)
...But now I can´t boot kubuntu...
Grub only has an empty entry for Kubu (no kernel and init paramanters, etc).
So I mounted the kubu partition, cd-ed to /boot therein, and find
nothing in there.
It appears that when installing Fedora, it hosed the /boot of the
kubu install when I told grub to include kubu.

What do I have to do to get these two to play nice?

The FC5 installer deletes "old" kernels. It is a "feature" of the installer; yum updates won't do any harm. You should install Kubuntu again, back up its kernels and initrds and whatnot. If necessary, install Fedora again, and then restore the Kubuntu stuff.
Thanks.
I reinstalled kubu, and this time (didn´t do it the first time) it saw FC5 during the install and added itself to grub without disturbing Fedora.
I was able to reboot FC afterwards (using it now).
Now, for my next trick...I want both installs to share the slave drive to store data. I think i erred in telling FC5 to call the slave /home...so I want to move /home for the FC install back onto the 15gb drive that presently houses
both OS installations (Kubu /home is on the 15gb already).
then, I want to tell FC to call the 200gb slave drive /media/stuff, or something...I think Kubu is calling it /media/hdb only, so perhaps I should just stick with that. Then, I want to configure /etc/fstab to automagically mount the slave drive at /mnt/stuff for either OS install, and place a link in /home of each install, so that from either install I can access data on the 200gb drive (because they obviously both need their own /home, won´t share, and I can´t access /home on one from the other without permissions issues, from what I understand). And so, for example, I could put all my Roberto Carlos and Zé Ramalho tunes and Dead shows, etc., on there and listen from either install...That kind of thing.
not sure how to proceed.
Nonetheless...I do have both OSs currently functional.
Would be nice if I could put all mail folders on the 200gb drive, too, so that mail I dl from my domain and view on FC, I could still read while in Kubu, and vice-versa...Dunno if that´s possible...Seeing as how each install is going to want to keep it´s own /home/.mozilla folder. (Yes...I still use Mozilla and Mozilla mail...and Moz composer, even

tony