Re: network has gone down again, and I cannot figure out why

Ric Moore <wayward4now@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[root@iam Desktop]# more /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost    iam.wayward4now.net

I hope this is just left over from before... it's BAAACK! <kill me now>
Ric

Check the file /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/hosts

Under certain circumstances, some piece of Linux will use this archived copy of /etc/hosts to replace what's in /etc/hosts. Maybe someone on the list will enlighten both of us as to when this happens. Could be your goofy /etc/hosts entry is coming from there.

My method on solving problems like this is to get as many of the automated tools as I can out of the way. They do what they think you want them to do which isn't always the case. That's why I provided the files in the previous posting. Drop a set of them into place (either or on the ifcfg-eth0 files since you can either have a fixed IP or DHCP) and things should start working. You *should* be able to just do a "service network restart" (as root) to make that happen. Its possible that some other file has a strange setting and its causing the network configuration applet to get tied up in its shorts and do strange things. First we set things up the way we think network manager should be setting them up and we'll see if everything works. If it doesn't, we know a lot more about exactly how we left things. If it does, we try doing something simple with the network configuration tool and see if anything breaks.

I'll be calling it a night after I post this. I'll check e-mail first thing in the morning (about 07:00 MDT for me).

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce