Re: network has gone down again, and I cannot figure out why

Ric Moore <wayward4now@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 06:30 +0930, Tim wrote:
On Sun, 2006-09-24 at 10:48 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> Does anyone recognize this??
> > root@iam etc]# rc.d/init.d/network start
> Bringing up loopback interface:                            [  OK  ]
> Bringing up interface eth0:  RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument

You might want to post your networkworking scripts related to the
ethernet.

Sorry if I came across like Barney on Andy Griffith. This one little
machine is it here at wayward4now.net. Nothing fancy, just this machine
hooked to a DSL modem, with BellSouth.net and I have a static IP
address. hostname: iam.wayward4now.net <---<chuckles at cutesy name>
domainname:   wayward4now.net
static IP:  70.145.234.214
netmask:    255.255.255.0
gateway:    65.14.234.23
search dns: dns.asm.bellsouth.net
primary DNS: 205.152.37.23
secondary  : 205.152.132.23
Thanks.  This helps a lot.

This stuff is a piece of cake. I can eat therein. But, the whirlygig
network setup thingie keeps adding hostnames  to the localhost line in
hosts. I edit it out, it may come up, it may not. I still haven't found
bind-config and rpm sez I don't have it installed  (that bugzilla
report) When I try to de-activate eth0 more often than not, it won't.
Suggestion: Don't use the network setup thingie.

So, I go back into the DSL modem, set it back to not-pasthrough, crank
up DHCP on this end and now I can email. I STILL get DNS lookup failures
though, even with DHCP! WTF? Regularly. I have the NetWork Manager and
NetWork Dispatcher running. Look at this, it's BACK!
I'm not understanding something so more questions. You say you have a fixed IP address above and this is the only system on your network. How/why does DHCP enter into this? Are you trying to no longer use a fixed IP address and want to move to Bell South providing your address through DHCP?

[root@iam etc]# more hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost iam.wayward4now.net
Remove the "iam.wayward4now.net".

Shouldn't there be a 192.168.0.X entry here? Do I add that? I though all
this housekeeping was taken care of, or am I just confused here?
No. 192.168.0.0/16 is a private network. Same for 10.0.0.0/8 and a couple other IP address ranges. The idea is you use these private addresses for your local network and only need a routable IP address for your router/gateway. If this is the only system on your network, you have no need of any of the private address ranges.

Of Course, I want to get back to static IP land, but I figure I need to
fix this first. Jeeez... I am down again, this email might make it out
though... gonna hit the send button. If someone else has no life, call
me at 336-333-9311
--

For DHCP provided by Bell South (they assign your IP address), your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 should look something like:

IPV6INIT=no
ONBOOT=yes
USERCTL=no <-- You can set this to yes if you wish
TYPE=Ethernet
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
DHCP_HOSTNAME=iam

Your /etc/sysconfig/network file should look something like:

NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=iam.wayward4now.net

and /etc/hosts should just have:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

See if this allows you to run with Bell South assigning your IP address using DHCP. For fixed IP address operation, /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 should look like:

IPV6INIT=no
DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=70.145.234.214
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
GATEWAY=65.14.234.23

These examples are taken from my server/router and a workstation on my network and were only "adjusted" for the IP addresses, etc. you provided (but check my typing). I used the network setup applet for creating these so there shouldn't be a problem using them with it if the need arises.

Bell South's DHCP should provide the name server information and populate /etc/resolv.conf. If it does not or you go back to running a fixed IP address, /etc/resolv.conf should look like:

search dns.asm.bellsouth.net
nameserver 205.152.37.23
nameserver 205.152.132.23

Cheers,