Re: network has gone down again, and I cannot figure out why

On Sun, 2006-09-24 at 20:52 -0600, David G. Miller wrote:
> Ric Moore <wayward4now@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Suggestion: Don't use the network setup thingie.

Ha! I knew someone would get into the spirit of it!!

> I'm not understanding something so more questions.  You say you have a
> fixed IP address above and this is the only system on your network.
> How/why does DHCP enter into this?  Are you trying to no longer use a
> fixed IP address and want to move to Bell South providing your address
> through DHCP?

I have a static IP, and with the DSL modem set to "pass through" mode,
my linux "crate" is doing everything... and blowing up. Been working
rock solid, went through the update, a report is made about something
missing and I go into scattered chickens mode becauce weird stuff is
happening, like the domainname being added as an alias to localhost
minutes after I fix it. All Night Long. I did shave today. But my 56
year old face has a couple more wrinkles... <kill me now>

> >[root@iam etc]# more hosts
> ># Do not remove the following line, or various programs
> ># that require network functionality will fail.
> >127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost iam.wayward4now.net
> >

> Remove the "iam.wayward4now.net".

See rant above! <kill me now>

> >Shouldn't there be a 192.168.0.X entry here? Do I add that? I though all
> >this housekeeping was taken care of, or am I just confused here?
> >
> For DHCP provided by Bell South (they assign your IP address), your
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 should look something like:
>
> IPV6INIT=no
> ONBOOT=yes
> USERCTL=no <-- You can set this to yes if you wish
> TYPE=Ethernet
> DEVICE=eth0
> BOOTPROTO=dhcp
> DHCP_HOSTNAME=iam
>
> Your /etc/sysconfig/network file should look something like:
>
> NETWORKING=yes
> HOSTNAME=iam.wayward4now.net
>
> and /etc/hosts should just have:
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
>

> See if this allows you to run with Bell South assigning your IP address
> using DHCP.
>
> For fixed IP address operation,
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 should look like:
>
> IPV6INIT=no
> DEVICE=eth0
> ONBOOT=yes
> BOOTPROTO=static
> IPADDR=70.145.234.214
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> GATEWAY=65.14.234.23
>
> These examples are taken from my server/router and a workstation on my
> network and were only "adjusted" for the IP addresses, etc. you provided
> (but check my typing).  I used the network setup applet for creating
> these so there shouldn't be a problem using them with it if the need arises.
>
> Bell South's DHCP should provide the name server information and
> populate /etc/resolv.conf.  If it does not or you go back to running a
> fixed IP address, /etc/resolv.conf should look like:
>
> search dns.asm.bellsouth.net
> nameserver 205.152.37.23
> nameserver 205.152.132.23

I needed reality check, now can I have a group hug? Thank you very very
much for the hand holding, I'm dumping this out on the printer for my
crying towel and shall go back to trying static. I did do one thing
though... I went and got the FC6 versions of bind and it seems to have
quieted down a LOT!

bind-9.3.2-41.fc6.i386.rpm
bind-libs-9.3.2-41.fc6.i386.rpm
bind-chroot-9.3.2-41.fc6.i386.rpm         bind-sdb-9.3.2-41.fc6.i386.rpm
bind-devel-9.3.2-41.fc6.i386.rpm
bind-utils-9.3.2-41.fc6.i386.rpm
bind-libbind-devel-9.3.2-41.fc6.i386.rpm

plus network-bind-config and anything I could grab.

That was taking a fashion risk, but it sure seems to be better and a
heckuva lot quicker resolving the names.

[root@iam Desktop]# more /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost    iam.wayward4now.net

I hope this is just left over from before... it's BAAACK! <kill me now>
Ric

...the Sin of Ignorance, and
...the Sin of Stupidity.

Linux user# 44256