Re: Emulating I. E.6

On Sunday 10 September 2006 01:13, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-09-09 at 22:02 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:
> > Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > I have both of these set to IE6.  Could someone please take a look at
> > > http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm and see whether the links on the
> > > left work?  Specifically, I wanted the "Door to Door 'Opt Out'
> > > service", but the link does not appear to be active.  I'm assuming that
> > > this too is an IE site.
> >
> > Post Script (sorry): in Firefox, View menu -> Page Style -> No Style.
> >
> > Looks like they're trying to be too clever with their CSS.

That looks vile, but at least you can get around.  It's pretty useless after
all, though.
<quote>
The 'opt out' service only relates to mail that does not have the recipients
address on - Royal Mail is still legally obliged to deliver mail bearing an
individuals address and 'To the Occupier' or any other generic recipient
information.
</quote>
So it will make very little difference to the amount of junk mail we get.

> I was about to click on the link to get that IE thingie then I thought,
> oh Hell naw! That would add wayward4now to the ranks of recorded IE
> users and tip the scales just that much further towards the Evil Empire
> of M$. Oh, Hell naw! AIN'T GONNA DO IT! It defeats the whole purpose of
> using Firefox or whatever that isn't Microsoft Internet Explorer.
>
> There is no way that a Governing Body can insist on the use of one
> browser or another, in anything resembling a equitable and just society.
> Whatever your equivalent to an ACLU is could be brought to bear on this
> site and box their ears soundly (or do you say 'roundly' over there?).
> Some kinda ass-whipping is in order. Just say "No!"

I do agree - I hate it - but being practical, if it's the only way we can use
a site, sometimes it's necessary.  However, using Firefox's Agent Switcher is
fine, as it doesn't use any of the 'extra' agent settings unless you tell it
to.  The Default setting, which is used unless I change it for a specific
session, says

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-GB; rv:1.7.13) Gecko/20060418
Fedora/1.0.8-1.1.fc4 Firefox/1.0.8

Anne