Re: Spam on the Rise. Any new tips?

On Wednesday 06 September 2006 03:27, jdow wrote:
>From: "Thom Paine" <painethom@xxxxxxxxx>
>
>> I've been noticing that the config I had been using for aboutthe past
>> year is slowly becoming less effective against spam.
>>
>> I'm currently using half a dozen or so bl's along with spam assassin.
>
>SARE is a wonderful rule source. http://www.rulesemporium.com/ is your
>friend. Go to the "rules" page. Read the description of the rule sets
>carefully, and select those which meet your needs.
>
>If you are REALLY desperate, have a poorly trained BAYES, and have
>a lot of image spam you MIGHT check out the spamassassin-users list
>archives for "FuzzyOCR". It is HIGHLY experimental and more than
>moderately effective at this point.
>
>http://www.rulesemporium.com/programs/sa-stats.txt is a good script
>for assessing the effectiveness of your various rules. A well trained
>BAYES will leave you with BAYES_99 catching about 60% or more of all
>spam and 0.04% or so of ham. BAYES_00 will have that pretty much the
>reverse. If you have that raise the BAYES_99 score until you see it
>developing false hits or reach a score equal to your threshold. (I
>use the default of 5 with a LOT of SARE rule sets. I have perhaps
>a couple spams in a week get trough out of 25000 emails a month. I
>get virtually no hams get mismarked.)
>
>{^_^}

I can pretty much confirm the effectiveness of that, Joanne.  Such a lashup
useing SARE gets 99.99% of the spam, with perhaps 10 falsely id'd hams a
week, with about the same amount of traffic.  I train sa-learn with those
messages it miss-fires on whenever it occurs, so its self-healing.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)