Bob Goodwin wrote:

Grub looks pretty much as you specify.:

sh-3.1# cat /boot/grub/grub.conf

#boot=/dev/sda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp)
       root (hd1,0)
       kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp.img
title Windows XP
       rootnoverify (hd0,1)
       chainloader +1

I would try saying "grub-install --recheck /dev/sda".

sh-3.1# grub-install --recheck /dev/sda

(fd0)   /dev/fd0
(hd0)   /dev/sda
(hd1)   /dev/sdb

Actually there's no floppy drive installed in the Dell.

It also tells me if any of the above is incorrect, fix it, and re-run
grub-install.
Looks ok to me?  I suppose I might try swapping sda and sdb as was also
suggested, if that works it would be easier than opening the box and
swapping cables, etc.

So it seems that the grub loader has been installed on the MBR of /dev/sda .
Is this actually what you think of as sda?
(fdisk -l /dev/sda should tell you.)
Do you get a grub prompt when you re-boot?
Is the boot order in the BIOS what you would expect, or want?

You could try using fdisk to change the active partition,
though I can't see why that should have any effect.

[I don't claim to be a grub expert;
and also I have not read all the thread,
so I may be off-beam.]

Bingo!

You solved my problem, or at least pointed me to the solution.

Fdisk showed both drives designated as boot, I toggled boot to off
for /dev/sda and now grub comes up and offers selection of either
operating system.  I haven't tried selecting Windows XP yet but will
report if a problem remains.

I can't explain why both were set to boot but that's the way the
installer left them?

Thanks.

BobG